Library Board of Trustees
Date Issued: 03/20/2002
Date Revised: n/a
1 - Chapter 24: Libraries in City Code of Falls Church
2 – Sec. 2-119: General Requirements for Citizen Bodies Appointed by Council in City Code of Falls Church
3 - Library Board Bylaws
In Chapter 24 of the City Code of Falls Church, the library is legally established and a Library Board of Trustees is provided for in Section. 24-3 (attachment Chapter 24 City Code of Falls Church).
The Library Board of Trustees is composed of seven (7) members and is appointed by the City Council from among eligible voters residing in the City. Each member is appointed for a term of four (4) years. Upon the expiration of a term of office, the member holding that office may continue to serve until a successor is qualified. Any vacancy is filled for the unexpired term as soon as possible in the same manner as members of the Board are usually chosen. Board members do not receive a salary or other compensation for their services, but necessary expenses actually incurred while conducting library/Library Board business are authorized from library funds. A member may be removed for misconduct or neglect of duty by the City Council.
The Library Board of Trustees shall:
- Establish such bylaws, rules of procedure, and regulations for its own guidance consistent with the State Code, the City charter and the City Code.
- Post with the City Clerk in a prominent place in the library notices of all meetings and proposed agendas which shall be available to the public at least three (3) days prior to meetings, except in cases of emergency.
- Maintain and file with the City Clerk approved minutes of its meetings.
- Follow, unless otherwise provided, the general requirements for citizen boards, commissions and committees of the City, as set forth in Chapter 2 of the City Code.
The “management and control” of the library must be performed by the Library Board of Trustees in a manner compatible with the Council/Manager form of government provided for in the City Charter. In addition, specific duties include:
- The Library Board members serve on behalf of the City Council and the residents of the City, as the citizen body charged with the general supervision of the library.
- The Board establishes policies and issues necessary regulations for the governance of the library, as the Board deems appropriate, acting within general policies and guidelines as set forth by the City Council.
- The Board advises the City Council and City Manager in a timely manner of pertinent matters relating to the library.
- The Board maintains appropriate liaison with other libraries throughout the metropolitan area and the state, including the Library of Virginia, and with various state and national associations.
- The Board, after consultation with the City Manager, recruits persons to fill vacancies in the position of Director of the library and, in so doing, may use the services provided by the Human Resources Division of the City. The Board recommends to the City Manager a person or persons qualified to be Director and acceptable to the Board for appointment as Director by the City Manager. The Board recommends to the City Manager all other personnel actions relative to the position of Director, including compensation.
- The Board prepares annually, with the advice and assistance of the Director of the Library and in line with the call for estimates and other guidance from the City Manager, the Board’s estimates for funds required for sufficient support of the Library. The City Manager reviews the Board’s estimates; makes adjustments as necessary; informs the Board through the Library Director regarding the adjustments, together with information on any estimates for other departments and offices that affect library operations; hears any appeals of the Board regarding such information; and includes in the budget that he prepares for presentation to the City Council his recommendations regarding estimates for sufficient support of the Library.
- The Board also performs any other duty necessary to carry out the above duties.
The Library Board holds regular meetings once a month, generally on the third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Library’s Conference Room. All meetings are open to the public.
Meeting announcements are posted on the Library’s Community Bulletin Board and at City Hall as well as the library’s website. A copy of the Agenda and the Board packet are available for public review at the Reference Desk of the Library as are copies of the draft and approved minutes of each meeting. A list of meeting dates, agendas, approved minutes, and Board appointees are also located on the library’s webpage: www.fallschurchva.gov/LibraryBoard