List of Services
Schedule a 20-30-minute personalized session with one of our staff members for help with:
- Computer & internet basics
- Using a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or e-reader
- Borrowing library eBooks, eAudiobooks, and eMagazines
- Searching the library’s catalog or other resources
To request an appointment, please use our Contact Us form (choose "Devices & Tech Help" from the "What would you like help with...?" option) or call our Adult Services Department at 703-248-5035 (TTY 711).
ONGOING BOOK SALE: Used books, audios, music compact discs, and DVDs are always on sale at the Mary Riley Styles Public Library! These items are available for browsing on the shelves just inside the entrance to the Adult Reading Room.
MONTHLY BOOK SALE: We also hold a regular larger monthly book sale, usually (but not always!) on the last weekend of every month in the library's Upper Level Conference Room. There are tables and tables covered with used books for adults and children and all at rock bottom prices! Please check our Events Calendar for specific dates.
PRICES: Most hardback books sell for $3.00 (+ tax), paperback books for $2.00 (+ tax), kids board books and Audiobooks for $1.00 (+ tax), and DVDs/Blu-rays for $0.50 (+ tax). However, some prices may be higher depending on the item. All proceeds from library book sales support library programs and services.
PUZZLE EXCHANGE: Check out our free puzzle exchange, located on the shelves by the Adult Reading Room. Donate a puzzle and/or take a puzzle!
COMPUTERS: The library provides access to 11 computer stations - 9 on the Upper Level, 2 on the Lower Level - equipped with the Microsoft Edge browser, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Acrobat Reader. Access is first-come, first serve, with a queue as needed. MRSPL card holders can log on directly. Free guest logons are available for non-card holders.
WIFI: Free WiFi is provided throughout the building. Just connect to CityWiFi on your device. No password is required; however you will need to acknowledge a splash page that opens in your browser to complete the connection. You can also send jobs to the library printer directly from your device (in the library or from home) using our mobile printing service.
PRINITNG, COPYING & SCANNING:
- A Xerox machine is available on the upper level for copying, printing, and scanning. (Scans can be saved to a thumb drive or emailed directly form the Xerox machine.)
- Available paper sizes for copying/printing include 8.5x11, 11X14, and 11x17.
- No charge for scanning or for the first 10 pages of copying or printing.
- Above the first 10 pages, the cost for copies and prints is:
- Black & White: $0.10/page
- Color: $0.50/page
- Print jobs can sent from personal devices - inside the library or remotely - using our Print from Anywhere service.
- Sent jobs can be accessed on the library's print release kiosk queue (by the copy machine) for up to 24 hours and then will be automatically deleted if unclaimed.
Curbside pickup service is available whenever the library is open.
- Reserve items through our online catalog. If you cannot get online, reserves can also be placed by calling the library at 703-248-5031 (TTY 711).
- When your items are ready - usually with 48 hours - you will receive an automated notification via email or text with instructions for Curbside Pickup. If you do not have an email address listed in your account, library staff will call to alert you.
- Once notified, pickup your curbside reserves at 120 N. Virginia Ave. Please park in the curbside service spots located just outside the library on N. Virginia Ave.
- Use the meeScan app to notify staff you have arrived. If you cannot access the app, call 703-248-5233 (TTY 711) for our curbside line.
Interlibrary loan service (ILL) – to request items not included in the library’s collection - is available to City of Falls Church residents and employees of City government and City schools.
- ILL users are limited to 5 active requests at a time.
- A $4 postage fee is charged, payable at pickup, for any item that must be returned to the lending library. Journal articles are generally emailed as PDFs free of charge; however, printed copies can be provided upon request (printing charges apply).
- Library to Your Door provides no-cost home delivery of library materials to any City of Falls Church resident physically unable to come into the library due to a temporary or permanent disability.
- Homebound patrons may borrow books, magazines, DVDs and audiobooks for an extended loan period of four weeks. Library to Your Door customers may request up to five items a week up to a total of 20 items checked out.
- MRSPL staff will fill requests for specific titles, or select materials based on reading interests, and then check-out, deliver and, later, retrieve the material.
- If you would like to utilize this service, please call our Adult Services Department at 703-248-5035 (TTY 711).
Meeting and study rooms are available for use by community non-profit groups and City government and schools. (Rooms are not available for commercial/business meetings.)
To learn more or reserve a room, visit our Reserve a Room page.
ST-ViewScan digital microfilm and microfiche reader is available for public use on the library’s Upper Level. Images can be saved to USB or sent to the library’s printer.
LIBRARY NEWS: Sign up for our Library News & Updates newsletter. You can also choose to subscribe to monthly genre reading recommendation newsletters.
MRSPL FOUNDATION: Sign up for the latest news form the MRSPL Foundation.
The library does not currently provide notary public service.
COMMISSIONER OF REVENUE'S OFFICE: The City's Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue has staff who can notarize during business hours. It is recommended that you call ahead (703-248-5450 TTY 711) to ensure a staff member who can notarize is available.
Self-check machines are available on both floors of the library. Library materials may also now be` checked out using your mobile phone and the meeScan app. Just scan the item’s barcode with your phone and you are done!
NOTE: The meeScan app is location based, so if you set it up outside of the library, you will need to use the following one-time set-up code: 84026682.
TAX FORMS: The library participates in the IRS’s Tax Form Outlets Program, which distributes free print copies of 1040 forms and instructions (in both English and Spanish) during the tax season. Most forms and publications are also available online and can be printed from the IRS of VA Department of Taxation.
TAX ASSISTANCE: Although the library was an AARP Tax Aide site last year, AARP will be returning that group to the Vienna area (where they were originally located). AARP does, however, continue to run a tax aide site near us at James Lee Community Center. Learn more...
Use the meeScan app to check out items just by scanning the barcode with your phone. Or to alert staff you have arrived for Curbside Pickup.
NOTE: The meeScan app is location based, so if you set it up outside of the library, you will need to use the following one-time code: 84026682.