Who can get a Card?
You can get a card if:
- you reside, work, or own property in the City of Falls Church, VA.
You can get a card if you reside in*:
- Arlington, VA
- City of Alexandria, VA
- District of Columbia
- Fairfax County, VA
- Frederick County, MD
- Loudon County, VA
- Montgomery County, MD
- Prince Georges County, MD
- Prince William County, VA
*And with the Metro area’s reciprocal borrowing agreement, all Falls Church City residents can get cards in the above jurisdictions as well!
How do I get a card?
Apply online or in person
- Apply Online here for a Mary Riley Styles Public Library card! We’ll mail your card to the address provided as proof of residency.
- Apply in library! Just bring a document that provides proof of name and current address, including, but not limited to:
- Valid driver’s license
- Utility bill from the past 3 months
- Rental or mortgage statement from the last 3 months
- Postmarked letter from the past 3 months
- Personalized checkbook with printed address
What if I don’t have an address in any of the supported jurisdictions?
We also offer two specialized cards: a Subscription Card for Virginia residents and an Opportunity Card for individuals without proof of address in the DC metro area.
- Subscription Card – available for $75 to residents of Virginia outside of the DC metro area reciprocal borrowing agreement. This card has full borrowing privileges and is good for one year.
- Opportunity Card – available for individuals without a permanent address in the DC metro area. This card has limited borrowing privileges (limit of 3 physical materials checked out at any time) but full access to our digital collection and it is good for one year. Must be applied for in library.
In most cases, your library account password defaults to the 10-digit phone number we have on record. Though, if you applied for your card online, you set a password when you filled out your application. If you are having difficulty with your password, you can reset it from the catalog page by clicking on the “card number” box in the top right hand corner and selecting the Reset it option or you can contact library staff and we will help you reset your password.
To view and update your library account and card information online:
- Go to catalog.fallschuchva.gov.
- Enter your 14-digit library card number and password (in the upper right of the screen).
- When logged in, click on "My Account" (again in the upper right of the screen). From here you can access:
- Notification preferences
- Items Out / Renewals
- Reserves / Requests
- History (optional)
Children can apply for their own cards; however, cards will not be issued to children under 14 without the permission of a parent or legal guardian.
Children under 17 years of age and under may use the residential identification of a parent or guardian.
Library cards automatically expire after 3 years. They can be renewed for an additional three years online by logging into your library account and following the instructions under the My Account Button. You can also renew your card in library at one of our service desks.
If you have lost or damaged your card, you can obtain a replacement card for $1.