Who can get a Card?
You can get a card if:
- you reside, work, or own property in the City of Falls Church, VA.
You can get a card if you reside in*:
- Arlington, VA
- City of Alexandria, VA
- District of Columbia
- Fairfax County, VA
- Frederick County, MD
- Loudoun County, VA
- Montgomery County, MD
- Prince Georges County, MD
- Prince William County, VA
*And with the Metro area’s reciprocal borrowing agreement, all Falls Church City residents can get cards in the above jurisdictions as well!
How do I get a card?
Apply online or in person
- Apply Online here for a Mary Riley Styles Public Library temporary e-card! Then come into the library to pick up your library card within 30 days of applying online or your temporary account will expire. Please bring current proof of address with you.
- Apply in library! Just bring a document that provides proof of name and current address, including, but not limited to:
- Valid driver’s license
- Utility bill from the past 3 months
- Rental or mortgage statement from the last 3 months
- Postmarked letter from the past 3 months
- Personalized checkbook with printed address
What if I don’t have an address in any of the supported jurisdictions?
We also offer two specialized cards: a Subscription Card for Virginia residents and an Opportunity Card for individuals without proof of address in the DC metro area.
- Subscription Card – available for $75 to residents of Virginia outside of the DC metro area reciprocal borrowing agreement. This card has full borrowing privileges and is good for one year.
- Opportunity Card – available for individuals without a permanent address in the DC metro area. This card has limited borrowing privileges (limit of 3 physical materials checked out at any time) but full access to our digital collection and it is good for one year. Must be applied for in library.
In most cases, your library account password defaults to the 10-digit phone number we have on record. Though, if you applied for your card online, you set a password when you filled out your application. If you are having difficulty with your password, you can reset it from the catalog page by clicking on the “card number” box in the top right hand corner and selecting the Reset it option or you can contact library staff and we will help you reset your password.
To view and update your library account and card information online:
- Go to catalog.fallschuchva.gov.
- Enter your 14-digit library card number and password (in the upper right of the screen).
- When logged in, click on "My Account" (again in the upper right of the screen). From here you can access:
- Notification preferences
- Items Out / Renewals
- Reserves / Requests
- History (optional)
Children can apply for their own cards; however, cards will not be issued to children under 14 without the permission of a parent or legal guardian.
Children under 17 years of age and under may use the residential identification of a parent or guardian.
Library cards automatically expire after 3 years. They can be renewed for an additional three years online by logging into your library account and following the instructions under the My Account Button. You can also renew your card in library at one of our service desks.
Effective March 1, 2023, if you have applied online for a card, you must pick up your card and show proof of address within 30 days of applying or your account will expire.
If you have lost or damaged your card, you can obtain a replacement card at either of our service desks.
Why get a library card?
Sure, you can checkout books with a library card – but that’s just the beginning! We provide patrons with access to things like Consumer Reports and Washington Consumer Checkbook.
See some of the other resources and programs we have to offer below!