Mary Riley Styles Public Library has been named a "star library" in Library Journal's recently released Index of Public Library Service 2022. This is the 15th year in which Library Journal has scored U.S. public libraries on the LJ Index of Public Library Service and awarded Star Library ratings. MRSPL has received a star designation 14 of the 15 years.
The LJ Index rates U.S. public libraries based on selected per capita output measures, including
- circulation (both items and electronic materials)
- library visits
- program attendance
- internet computer use
- public wi-fi sessions
- electronic retrievals (from online databases)
- library website visits
The 2022 scores and ratings are based on FY20 data - the most recent nationally available - from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) Public Library Survey (PLS). For 2022—again based on 2020 data—5,359 public libraries received LJ Index scores, and 258 of them received Stars.
In Virgina, MRPSL was one of 6 star libraries:
- Arlington County Public Library (3 stars)
- Central Reppahannock Regional Library (3 stars)
- Henrico County Public Library (5 stars)
- Loudon County Public Library (3 stars)
- Mary Riley Styles Public Library (4 stars)
- Williamsburg Regional Library (3 stars)
LJ Index of Public Library Service
Read the complete article (PDF) on "America's Star Libraries: The LJ Index of Public Library Service 2022" from the December 2022 issue of Library Journal.